What is the Pupil Premium?
Introduced in 2011, the pupil premium is a sum of money given to schools each year by the Government to improve the attainment of disadvantaged children.
This is based on research showing that children from low income families perform less well at school than their peers. Often, children who are entitled to pupil premium face challenges such as poor language and communication skills, lack of confidence and issues with attendance and punctuality. The pupil premium is intended to directly benefit the children who are eligible, helping to narrow the gap between them and their classmates. More information can be found here.
Is my child eligible for the Pupil Premium?
Schools are given a pupil premium for:
- Children who have qualified for free school meals at any point in the past six years.
- Children who are or have been looked after under local authority care for more than one day.
- Children from service families who receive a child pension from the Ministry of Defence.
If you think that your child may be eligible for pupil premium support, please contact the school office.
Pupil Premium Support at The Weald Church of England Primary School
At our school, we look at the overall support for children eligible for pupil premium and review each child as an individual, on a regular basis, to see how we can best support them to make rapid progress across all aspects of school life. Examples of support may include:
- Homework club
- One-to-one tuition
- Precision teaching
- Additional support in lessons
- Support with attending school trips and residentials
- Social, Emotional and Behaviour Support, both in school and through multi professional partnerships
- Thrive and social emotional development groups
- Rapid phonics
- Speech and language 1:1 support and small groups
- Booster groups
- Traveller Education Service support
- Home school link worker support
- Behaviour Support
- CAMHS Community Nurse and/or School Nurse Health Support
- Family Support Workers
- Specialist links to services for children with Special Educational Needs as required (eg Linden Bridge Specialist Outreach Service for Children on the Autistic Spectrum)
The next Pupil Premium Review is July 2021